Faculty Natural and Agricultural Sciences
Department Zoology and Entomology
Senior Lecturer: Zoology
Job ID: 2395
Duties and responsibilities:
- Responsible for teaching and learning in undergraduate and postgraduate (B Sc. Honours) programmes in the field of Zoology.This includes lectures, tutorials, practical classes (preparation and presentation), assessment and seminars.
- Supervise postgraduate students.
- Research in own field of specialisation, including the obtaining of external funding.
- Demonstrate/develop a research connection to any of the existing research specialities or be able to start or continue with own research.
- Handle administrative tasks, academic planning (curriculum development etc.), projects and excursions.
- A PhD in Zoology.
- Proven ability to obtain funding from external sources.
- Proven experience in the presentation of papers/posters at national scholarly conference.
- Proven national recognition for specialist expertise and research in a specific area of scholarship.
- An NRF rating or demonstrate the potential for obtaining an NRF rating.
- Proven experience in supervision of master’s students; experience in the supervision of doctoral students will be an advantage.
- Proven research record of relevant publications in national and international accredited journals especially as first author or single author publications.
- Proven experience of service as an active member of a national or international scholarly society or committee or agency concerned with research at higher education levels.
- Must be able to teach undergraduate courses in both Afrikaans and English.
- Research focus must be on vertebrates and will be expected to establish a research group in the Department.
- Experience in molecular research and/or statistical analysis.
- Ability to logistically co-ordinate student groups as part of practical excursions and research trips.
- Must be prepared to interact with the public regarding Zoology-related queries.
- Willingness to market the discipline of Zoology whenever the opportunity arises, in order to generate student interest.
- Good interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to function with ease in the University’s richly diverse working environment.
- Written and oral communication proficiency in the official administrative language of the institution.
- Business Acumen.
- Results Orientated.
- Strategic Thinking.
- Building Coalitions.
- Proven expertise in vertebrate research as primary field(s) of research.
- The department has specialists in the disciplines of ecology, herpetology, nematology, ethology and parasitology (veterinary and aquatic), and the candidate should complement the range of expertise.
Assumption of duties:
01 January 2019
13 July 2018
The salary scale is available on request. For any further enquiries, please feel free to contact 051 401 3592 / 2808 / 2849.
(Subject to specific conditions): pension scheme, medical aid scheme, group life insurance, housing allowance, leave and sick leave, service bonus and study benefits.
The University reserves the right not to fill the post. The University subscribes to and applies the principles prescribed by the Employment Equity Act. Preference will be given to candidates from the designated groups, in accordance with the principles of the aforementioned act and the employee profile of the specific department / division.
Applications may only be submitted online. All applications must be accompanied by the following:
- A detailed curriculum vitae.
- Copies of all academic records.
- Copies of qualifications (please provide the SAQA accreditation in the case of foreign qualifications).
- A copy of your identity document (ID).
- A 1-2 page TEACHING statement/philosophy that demonstrates excellence and innovation in teaching and learning.
- A 1-2 page RESEARCH statement/philosophy that demonstrates excellence in research and details the candidate’s research plans.
The UFS will only consider applications of candidates who meet all the inherent requirements of the position. Applications that are incomplete, or sent by fax or e-mail, will not be considered. Communication will be limited to shortlisted candidates only. Should you not be contacted within six weeks of the closing date for applications, you may assume that your application was unsuccessful.
External candidates can click HERE to apply online.
UFS staff members can log onto PeopleSoft, click Self Service, Recruiting, and Careers to apply online.